The red brick building now called the Interchange Warehouse was designed to straddle the interchange dock and completed by 1905. The dock was bridged over with heavy girders supporting the railway tracks and platforms of a railway goods shed, and the barges and narrow boats below were accessed through trapdoors in the platforms. Canal to rail transhipment had by then much declined and the new building was mainly devoted to transfers between railway and road vehicles and to storage in the magnificent warehouse on three floors above.
The Interchange Warehouse, which is Grade II listed, was converted to offices and refurbished in the late 1980s, retaining many of the original features and emphasizing the riveted steel columns. It was connected to Camden Lock Place (formerly Commercial Place) by the creation of steps through the retaining wall. In 2007 it was further restored, with many recent additions removed.
In the pavement of Oval Road and Gilbeys Yard a number of features of the historic goods yard remain, including the granite sett paving, rail lines, granite bollards, ventilation grilles to the horse tunnel below, a turntable and the frames of two large weighbridges.
See the Interchange Warehouse history for more about this building.